As well as carrying out the repairs you report to us, we run a programme of planned works. This allows us to keep your homes in good condition. It also gives us better value for money when we complete similar repairs on a number of homes at once..
Planned works can include the decorating we do to the outside of the property and the communal areas inside. It also includes the replacement of boilers, kitchens and bathrooms.
2021/22 Planned Programme
- Here at Westway Housing Association we are committed to the effective and proactive asset management of all our properties and we operate a programme to keep them safe, sound and presentable.
- Each and every year Westway is committed to keeping our residents informed throughout planned cyclical works, minimising disruption by combining works where practical possible, and ensuring that all cyclical contracts are effectively monitored by our maintenance staff.
Estate inspections and works
We carry out regular estate inspections at all the buildings we manage. You are welcome to join your housing officer or surveyor for these inspections.
When carrying out inspections of communal areas, we:
• check that the estate is being cleaned and maintained to a satisfactory standard
• identify and report any communal repairs, and
• make sure there are no health and safety risks.
Improvements and adaptations
We encourage you to look after your home. However, if you would like alter or improve your home, you will need to get our written permission before you start work.
If you do any work without our consent, you are breaking your tenancy agreement and we, or a superior landlord (if you are a homeowner), may take action.
Please note that you are not permitted to carry out any alterations or improvements in communal areas.
If you need major adaptations to your home, you should contact your local council or social services and ask for an assessment from an occupational therapist. The occupational therapist will visit to assess your needs. They will then send us their proposal, which we will consider and, in most cases, approve. Our maintenance team will provide assistance and ensure the work is completed to the highest standards.
Examples of major adaptations are:
• fitting lifts on stairs or through floors
• removing a bath and fitting walk-in or wet-floor showers
• sitting shower toilets for disabled people
• fitting hoists to the ceiling
• making adaptations to the kitchen, or
• lowering kitchen units.
By planning work in advance, we keep our costs down and our properties in good condition.
We keep information on the state of our properties (known as a ‘stock condition’ survey), which allows us to draw up works programmes each year. Our plans are approved by the Tenants’ Committee and Westway’s Board.
Whether you live on an estate or in a street property, we will keep the structure and external areas of your building in a good state of repair. For non-urgent repairs, we may decide to wait until we carry out our next planned work at your scheme.
We will regularly paint the external woodwork and any painted render. We will also decorate any areas you share with your neighbours.
The condition of your building and estate are important to us, which is why our housing officers carry out regular inspections. You are very welcome to join them, to share areas of concern and to ask questions. We publish the dates of inspections in Westway News, or you can contact your housing officer.