Home : Services : Moving homes : Getting a transfer
Getting a transfer

Homes owned by social landlords are in very short supply. However, you do have some options if you need or want to move to another rented property.


Locata – local moves

Providing you are up to date with your rent and we are not taking legal action against you for breaking your tenancy agreement, you can register for a local transfer through Locata. Locata is an online choice-based lettings scheme, which allows you to bid for homes.

You will be prioritised for rehousing depending on your housing need. Unless your need is extremely urgent, you may wait a long time.

Housing Moves – service change

From 1 July 2022, the Mayor’s Housing Moves scheme closed to most new applicants.

The scheme was originally designed to give Londoners a way to move to different boroughs. However, there are now far too many people wanting a move and far too few homes.

The scheme is still open to victims and survivors of domestic abuse and people who have been rough sleeping. If that applies to you, contact Westway and we will help you get the support you need.


If you are an assured tenant, or an assured shorthold tenant with a fixed-term agreement, you have the right to swap homes with the tenant of any social housing landlord. You will need permission from both landlords before you go ahead with the swap.

When you swap homes, you are also swapping tenancies. For example, if one side of the swap has a fixed-term agreement, their swap partner only takes on what remains of the tenancy.

You can find a swap partner by signing up to a national online scheme called HomeSwapper. This service is free for our tenants, because we are a partner organisation.


Seaside & Country Homes – for older people

If you are aged 55 or over (or at least one partner in a couple is this age), you can register for the Mayor of London’s Seaside & Country Homes scheme for a move outside London.

You will not be considered if you:

  • owe rent
  • have a history of anti-social behaviour, or if
  • you are currently being taken to court or about to be evicted.


Pan-London Housing Reciprocal – for people fleeing abuse

This scheme offers long-term and affordable housing for social housing tenants fleeing domestic abuse and other forms of violence. It offers a move to a different London borough. To find out more, call the Customer 1st Team.

Ways we can help

Pay your rent

Raise a repair

Making a complaint

Get in touch