Home : Services : Getting help with debt and your finances
Getting help with debt and your finances

Debt advice and support

If your debts are becoming a problem, there are a number of free services available to give you some free, impartial and realistic advice.

StepChange Debt Charity has a webchat facility, or you can phone 0800 138 1111.

National Debtline has a webchat facility, or you can phone 0808 808 4000.

Citizens Advice Bureau has online advice, or phone 0800 144 8848.

The Money Advice Service has online advice, or phone 0800 138 7777.

Financial help

Talk to your provider, if you are struggling to pay energy bills. They may be able to help you reorganise your payments or offer you a grant.

Go to www.turn2us.org.uk to search for grants from charities and other sources. You can also use their calculator to check you are getting all the benefits you can claim.

Go to the website of your local authority to see if you can apply for a hardship/local support grant. These funds are usually designed to help you pay for food, energy or essential household items if you are in crisis. You will usually be given vouchers.

Reduce your bills
If you are on Universal Credit or other benefits, and have a low income, you may qualify for a ‘social tariff’ on some of your essential bills.

Water bills: Thames Water has two social tariffs. Find out more at: www.thameswater.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/financial-support/waterhelp

Broadband: Some UK broadband providers have social tariffs for people on benefits. Check out: BT Home Essentials; G Network Essential Fibre Optic; Community Fibre; Virgin Media Essential Broadband (for existing customers on Universal Credit); Hyperoptic Fair Fibre.

Mobile phone: VOXI has a six-month limited plan featuring unlimited 5G data, calls and texts for £10 a month for people on benefits. Go to www.voxi.co.uk/for-now

Council Tax: Your Council Tax will be reduced if you get Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

Charities offering assistance

Glasspool Trust provides grants to support people experiencing financial hardship.

Buttle UK have been helping with small grants for children, young people and people fleeing domestic violence.

Turn2us provide information and financial support to help people get back on track.


Financial help from your local authority

Councils are offering help to people affected by Covid-19.

Ealing Council: Covid-19 Emergency Fund

Brent Council: Resident’s Support Fund

Hammersmith and Fulham Council: Support payments and advice

Kensington and Chelsea Council: Local support payments

Ways we can help

Pay your rent

Raise a repair

Making a complaint

Get in touch