Home : Services : Moving homes : Getting a transfer
Getting a transfer

Homes owned by social landlords are in very short supply. However, you do have some options if you need or want to move to another rented property.


Locata – local moves

Providing you are up to date with your rent and we are not taking legal action against you for breaking your tenancy agreement, you can register for a local transfer through Locata. Locata is an online choice-based lettings scheme, which allows you to bid for homes.

You will be prioritised for rehousing depending on your housing need. Unless your need is extremely urgent, you may wait a long time.


Housing Moves – across London

You can apply for a move to another London borough by registering with the Mayor of London’s Housing Moves scheme. This is also an online choice-based lettings scheme.

You will get priority for this scheme if you are:

  • over-crowded
  • have more bedrooms than you need
  • need to work to be closer to your job or higher education
  • need to move to care for a family member or friend.



If you are an assured tenant, or an assured shorthold tenant with a fixed-term agreement, you have the right to swap homes with the tenant of any social housing landlord. You will need permission from both landlords before you go ahead with the swap.

When you swap homes, you are also swapping tenancies. For example, if one side of the swap has a fixed-term agreement, their swap partner only takes on what remains of the tenancy.

You can find a swap partner by signing up to a national online scheme called HomeSwapper. This service is free for our tenants, because we are a partner organisation.


Seaside & Country Homes – for older people

If you are aged 55 or over (or at least one partner in a couple is this age), you can register for the Mayor of London’s Seaside & Country Homes scheme for a move outside London.

You will not be considered if you:

  • owe rent
  • have a history of anti-social behaviour, or if
  • you are currently being taken to court or about to be evicted.


Pan-London Housing Reciprocal – for people fleeing abuse

This scheme offers long-term and affordable housing for social housing tenants fleeing domestic abuse and other forms of violence. It offers a move to a different London borough. To find out more, call the Customer 1st Team.

Ways we can help

Pay your rent

Raise a repair

Raise a complaint

Get in touch